Pages


Sunday, April 14, 2013

Dischidia ovata

I haven't written much about my Hoyas lately, pretty much because they don't do a whole lot in the winter for me.  But I've got a few budding up now, so over the next few months, there will be more.

While Dischidias are not Hoyas, they are closely related, enough that I do have this one.  Common name is the watermelon plant, and when grown in good light, the leaves take on a reddish hue, and with the striping, it's understandable how it received that name.

I found this at a BBS about two years ago.  Last summer, I started two pots from cuttings of that original plant.  The larger one I left outside through winter, and it sure didn't like the cold, and completely died.  The smaller one I brought inside under lights, and it has grown nicely for me.  I have it potted in a Turface/Perlite mix, I let it dry out well in between waterings, and somewhat shaded light conditions.  While the flowers are not eye-catching, they do have a charm to them.

First a close-up of the leaves and flowers - yes they are completely open.  And then a picture of the whole plant.




No comments:

Post a Comment