Pages


Saturday, April 20, 2013

Maxillaria tenuifolia

I usually do try to call my plants by their update to date accepted names.  But this species is so commonly known as Max. tenuifolia, I figured I'd title this post with that name.  For those who care, the current accepted name for this species is Maxillariella tenuifolia.

This is one of those species that almost everyone has. And a wonderful fragrance as well, to me is smells just like coconut suntan lotion.  I grow this one differently than many people advise.  Currently it is in LECA and lava rock, watered daily in summer, and much less often in winter.  I give it Vanda level light, and leave it outside year round, which means it gets down to just above freezing in winter, and very hot in the summer.

Here is last year's picture, it was in a 6 inch pot, with some LECA in there. 


After blooming was done last year, I uppotted it into a 10? 12? inch pond basket, and filled in with lava rock  pieces.  The following pictures taken this morning. As I was bringing it into the house, my youngest son stated "Mom, why are you taking pictures of a weed?" :)  You can see it does grow like a weed for me. But it is not going to get repotted again this year.






I've seen pictures of this species with a yellow base color, and if I ever come across one, I'll make sure to pick it up.  Can't go wrong with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment