Pages


Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sarcochilus

I currently only have one Sarcochilus, a hybrid names Melody.  But Sarcochilus was the first genus, back 15 years ago that I fell in love with.  My first dedicated orchid book was a Sarco book, the first species I ever bloomed was Sarco. cecilae, although I killed it soon after that  :)

When we moved to Charlotte, NC and I was keeping the greenhouse warm nights in the winter, and the summer days were regularly around 100F, and very low humidity, I moved away from Sarcs. After we moved down here, since we have temps that would allow a Sarc. to stay outside year round, but give it a cool winter, I decided to just try one again.  Now, I mounted it, because I like the look of it mounted, but that probably wasn't the best idea.  As we prepare to move again, to a warmer area, I'm not going to acquire anymore until I see how this one does.  Anyways, it's blooming now, two spikes on a small plant (that whole mounted thing doesn't lead to the most robust plant).

No comments:

Post a Comment