Pages


Sunday, March 24, 2013

My first Paph bloom

It's been a while since I posted, life had been interfering, but I wanted to capture this one.  I, like most orchid growers, tried to grow Paphs.  But I was never successful at them, they died amazingly quickly for me.  But I decided a couple months ago to try again. So one day in December I saw what looked like a healthy plant, in spike, at a reasonable price, so I thought, I'll give it another try.  Since then, a friend has also sent me a few more, and hopefully I won't kill them.

I repotted into my Turface/perlite that I use for other orchids and Hoyas that like to be evenly moist.  I have put them under lights in my intermediate growing area for the winter, and as soon as it warms up enough, they will go outside.

To my surprise, this Paph of mine, even though it was repotted, even though it was taken from it's nice home in a greenhouse, continued to develop the spikes, and even opened.  It is Paph. Pink Streams (Dr. Jack x phillipenense)  I'm not completely thrilled with the coloring on the dorsal sepal, it's a bit muddied, but HEY - it bloomed!



No comments:

Post a Comment