Pages


Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dendrobium hybrids

I think I've mentioned before that Dendrobiums are one of my favorite genera of orchids :).  But I don't particularly care for Dendrobium hybrids - maybe because they have become pot plants for the most part?  So, I only have 4 of them. One of those (NOID) is still very small, although it did give me one flower this year.  Here are the other three.

Starting with Dendrobium Selena Marie x Ise.  I picked this up from Lenette during their close out sale, back when I lived in North Carolina.  It's a pretty flower, on what is a relatively small plant.  Each individual flower is bigger than the p'bulb, and I do think its a pretty little thing.  I'm growing it mounted, and it gets typical Section Dendrobium care.


Next up is D. Spring Dream 'Apollo', which I've grown from a keikii sent to me by a friend in Colorado. I've only had it a couple years, and this is the second time it has bloomed.  Again a pretty thing, and again I'm growing it mounted, with typical Dendrobium section care.


And last, my favorite, Dendrobium Rainbow Dance.  Considered by most to be a nobile hybrid (I hate that phrase), but to me it seems to show it's genetics from D. unicum and D. moniliforme.  This picture is from last year, as it is still in bud so far this year.  Absolutely an adorable flower.  Again it is mounted, and again it's getting typical Dendrobium section care.



Well that's it for the hybrids, hope you enjoyed!





No comments:

Post a Comment