Pages


Saturday, July 7, 2012

Brassavolas

I've made a string of Hoya posts, so it is time for some orchids.  Today I'll cover the Brassavolas I have.  I only have four of this genus, acaulis, nodosa, culcullata and subulifolia.  Out of all of them the acaulis is the one I'm having some trouble with.  I mounted it shortly after I received it, and it sat there sulking for a year.  Just a week ago I noticed a new growth and new root branches, so maybe it has decided to live.


Brassavolas belong to the Cattleya alliance, and I grow mine warm, very strong light and allowing to dry out in between waterings.  Two are mounted, and two are potted right now.  By very strong light, I mean direct sun for about 4 hours during the summer.  This picture is B. nodosa, also known as the "Lady of the Night" orchid due to it's very strong perfumy fragrance that is only at night.  A common orchid, and included in the average orchid grower's collection.




The Brassavola to the left is B. subulifolia, also known as B. cordata. I have trouble blooming this plant, I don't find it as easy to grow and bloom as B. nodosa. This plant requires almost direct sun all day to grow well and bloom. It is in a net pot, with Hydroton as the media. I don't think I'll ever get it out of there. But it seems happy enough right now.

And the picture below belongs to B. culcullata, a recent aquisition for me.  Again a lovely night time fragrance, which imo is more delicate tha nodosa's fragrance.  More like jasmine.  It is currently potted, but once done blooming, I will mount it.  Hopefully it doesn't sulk for a year like the acaulis did.


No comments:

Post a Comment