Pages


Sunday, July 28, 2013

Angraceum scottianum

I've always loved white flowers, so you would think I would have at least a few Angraecums right?  Well, I used to.  About 5 years ago, I had at least 15 different Angraecums and Aerangis. Well, it wasn't a story with a happy ending. 

One summer, I was having a pretty bad slug and snail problem.  This was back when I lived in North Carolina.  After trying bait, diatomaecous earth, beer, coffee grounds and who knows what else (none of which worked), I desparately tried a home remedy concoction. Do I even need to finish this story?

Well the concoction seemed like it killed baby slugs, but adult ones - no effect. I swear I could see them laughing at me :)  But what it did do was remove the waxy protective coating off of 90% of my monopodials (no effect on the sympodials??), which all pretty much died within a couple weeks. You could actually see the difference in the leaves.  The only ones that survived were 4 Vandas and 1 Aerangis.  That is it.

Since then, I've only acquired one Angraecum - scottianum - as a very very small seedling.  It actually has grown well for me, and just finally bloomed for the first time.  I might have to start acquiring more again.  2 open flowers and 2 more buds on what is still a very small plant.  I can't wait for it to grow up.



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment