Pages


Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bulbophyllum species Part II

Some more of my species of Bulbophyllums that I have bloomed and manged to have pictures of.

Bulbophyllum medusae.  One of the first Bulbophyllum I ever aquired, I have it growing on a mount, and I pretty much can't keep it wet enough, so it doesn't do that well for me.  I'm hoping someday it will grow off the mount, and I'll be able to divide and pot it.  Or I'll just get another one.  :) A few pictures of this one as I think it deserves it!





Bulbophyllum corolliferum.  I've had this one for a few years now.  It took a while to adjust, but once it did, it grows very well.  When I kept it in the same amount of light as the other Bulbos I sunburned it, so it is now kept a bit shaded.  This past year it started blooming in mid September, and still is blooming as of today.  Total of about 20 spikes over that time. I had it growing in one of the baskets I make with CHC, but yesterday repotted it into a spaghum moss lined basket with a Turface/Perlite mix.  Charming little guy. These pictures are from last year, I didn't take any this year.



Bulbophyllum sikkimense.  Another charming one, I give it my typical Bulbophyllum culture. I find this one interesting as the color changes significantly as the flowers age.  These two photos were taken on the same day, from the same plant, but just different age of the blooms.  They open a very peachy color and darken over about a day to a pink.  When I received this plant, it was much bigger than expected, so looking at the pots I had, I decided to use up a Stanhopea wire basket.  Lined it with spaghnum moss, filled with lava rock,, and then topped with spaghnum moss.  A bigger basket that I typically use, but so far it seems to be working.




Bulbophyllum purpurescens.  Tiny little thing, it isn't the happiest with me over the last year since I acquired it from Krull-Smith. I'm going to repot it here soon and see what I can do with it.  But even so, it did bloom for me last summer.


Bulbophyllum lasiochilum.  Adorable plant, adorable flower.  It is mounted on tree fern, so it gets watered a lot in summer, but in winter while it is under lights, I just lay it down in a tray, with some water in it.  Otherwise my typical Bulbo culture.




Bulbophyllum catenulatum.  Just received this a few weeks ago from Andy's.  It came mounted, but at least the mount is a rectangluar block of wood, so I can set it in a small try of water - which I have.  It has about 100 dried up spikes, indicating this is a frequent bloomer? and it came with one bud which did open.  Plant and flowers are tiny.  The flower is maybe the size of the nail on my pinky finger, but very brightly colored. I had put it under my T5s when I recieved this one as Andy is calling it an intermediate grower, but is seemed to resent that much light, so I have moved it off to the side a little bit.  We will see if it does better there.


Bulbophyllum NOT lilaceum.  At least that is what I call it. Aquired from Carter and Holmes at least four years ago, maybe more.  Tag reads lilaceum.  So not a surprise that a plant from there is mislabeled.  Anyways, this may be the first Bulbophyllum I ever got, and I mounted it of course.  But unlike medusae, this one seems to love being mounted.  I have taken pieces off of this a few times, and they always grow well potted too.  I'm attaching a picture from last year, but right now it has one spike open and 5 more spikes developing.  As soon as I get an updated picture, I will update this thread.



That's it for now, hope you enjoyed!

Edit: February 2013 - Please see my post on Bulbophyllym ambrosia as well.   http://orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com/2013/02/bulbophyllum-ambrosia.html






1 comment:

  1. Wow, another great group of Bulbophyllum!!!! They are all fabulous, but I just adore the catenulatum!!!

    ReplyDelete