Pages


Saturday, October 13, 2012

Catasetum hybrids

My three favorite alliances of orchids are Catasetums, Dendrobiums and Bulbophyllums.  I haven't written or posted many of the Catasetums, so it is time for that. I'm not going to detail how I grow them, I wrote up a pretty detailed culture description on www.orchidgeeks.com if you are interested.

Within the Catasetum alliance, I prefer the true Catasetums and Clowesias.  Current popular trends in this alliance seem to favor the Mormodes and Cycnoches - which I really am not interested in.  So my collection of these are small, and I manage to acquire only a couple a year.

While I prefer to grow species, I have kept a few hybrids over the years, and here are a few of them.


Catasetum expansum x Jumbo Heart


Ctsm (Doris' Choice x Breckenridge Onxy) x (Susan Fuchs x spitzii)


Catasetum Olga


Unfortunately the rest of my photos are on flickr, which doesn't allow me to do a link to Blogger.  So as they rebloom and I get new pics to my current photo site, I'll update this post.

Edit:  February 2013.  Another hybrid has come into bloom, and this is the plant that started my love of the Catasetum Alliance.  Clowesetum Dragon's Treasure.  Not only is it a beautiful flower, but the fragrance is perfect, strong, fresh and lemony. 




2 comments:

  1. hi,
    i am also a big fan of the catasetums and i am from Malaysia. would like to know where you are from as i am interested to do some barter trade for catasetum bulbs.
    if you are interested, i can be contacted at
    ianeklim@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello everyone...
    i am also a mad-follower of catasetum alliance!.... most of my plants are attached on Phoenix Palms at my mother´s place in Panama... i live in Germany... i have some luck here with my orchids, but never the same as back home for my cat´s!...
    That gorgeous Clowesetum that you display here i´ve seen in Ebay... quite expensive though... (worth it!)... =)
    All the best =)

    ReplyDelete